From Dragon Mania Legends (DML) Wiki
Hatching is the process through which Dragon eggs are moved from Inventory to the Hatchery to be incubated and then hatched into fully grown, adult Dragons. Incubating and hatching Dragons can only be done in the Hatchery.
In the Trainer's Inventory a Hatch button appears below the a Dragon's snapshot and is pressed to send its egg to the Hatchery. If the Hatchery is full, a Hatchery Full message appears prompting the Trainer to free up space before they can hatch another egg.
Incubation time depends on what Dragon will hatch, the higher the rarity and the more advanced its Elements, the longer incubate takes. Incubation times vary from instant for Boss Dragons to 4 days and 19 hours for Divine or Ancient Dragons, and are affected by VIP Status.
Once incubation is complete, selecting the Hatchery then Dragon's icon opens a window to hatch it. Swiping or repeatedly tapping the egg cracks it open. Afterwards, experience points are awarded, Dragons that take longer to breed give more experience.
A Dragon species hatched for the first time displays a icon, the Dragon's Dragon Collector Points value and the button on its right at (except for Clan Dragons) at hatching. After the new species is placed in a Habitat, the Codex fills in that Dragon's snapshot. If the Dragon is part of a Dragon Codex collection, its snapshot is filled in the Collections menu instead. If the Dragon is currently part of an ongoing Collection Event, its snapshot is filled in inside the collection screen. Finally, a secondary window appears, informing a new Dragon was collected.
If the Hatchery is full, the Trainer receives a notice that they must free a nest before being able to hatch the Dragon. If the Dragon is a duplicate of an already-housed Dragon, the button appears under it to sell for gold, though it is noteworthy that duplicates can be Ascended for Enchantment Materials.
A hatched Dragon can be placed in a Habitat or the Dragon Vault through the Place button. This option takes the Trainer to the Dragon Vault or the closest fitting Habitat if the Sell option is not used. If there are no empty, fitting Habitats or no free spots in the Dragon Vault, the Sell button is replaced by the Shop button, pressing it brings the Trainer to the Habitats tab of the Main Shop. However, if there are fitting Habitats that can be upgraded for additional spots, or a fitting Habitat just finished being built with a shown above it, instead of the Shop button, an Upgrade button appears.
The shell of the eggs are in concordance to the appearance of the Dragon. All Dragons have their very own egg, except Boss Dragons, whose eggs are that of their regular counterpart. These Dragons incubate instantly when sent to the Hatchery and displayed directly in their adult form after hatching, as they do not have a baby form.
Community Hatching is an exclusive method and the only way through which Clan Dragons can be incubated. This involves one or more members of a Clan incubating and hatching a certain number of eggs belonging to the same Dragon in order to fully hatch and use that Dragon.
- Hatching Events are events whose sole objective is hatching Dragons in order to win the prizes offered. Points are given based on a Dragon's rarity, where the higher the rarity, the more points are given. Boss Dragons and Clan Dragons give no points.
- Solo Events require hatching Dragons as one of their objectives.
See Breeding for more information
Breeding is the primary way to obtain Dragon eggs. Pairing two adult Dragons in the Breeding Den produces a Dragon egg after the breeding period, which is then sent to the Hatchery to incubate and hatch.
Hatching Length Calculation
The rounding up applies only to the last digit.
This only applies to Elements of Dragons that do not require awakening. Thus, only the base Element applies to these Dragons because their secondary Elements need to be awoken. As such, all Dragons with that base Element have the same breeding time, regardless of their other Elements.
- Fire, Wind, Earth, Water = 1.6
- Plant, Metal, Energy, Void, Legendary, Divine, Ancient = 1.2
- Light, Shadow = 1.1
- Active VIP (VIP Level 2 or higher) = 0.8
- Inactive VIP/VIP Level 1 = 1
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(240 * (1.6 + 1.6) / 2)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(240 * 3.2 / 2)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(768 / 2)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(384) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = 390 * VIP Factor
Thus, without VIP, the hatching time is 6 hours and 30 minutes while with VIP, the hatching time is 5 hours and 12 minutes.
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(1320 * (1.6 + 1.2 + 1.2) / 3)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(1320 * 4 / 3)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(5280 / 3)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(1760) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = 1760 * VIP Factor
Thus, without VIP, the hatching time is 1 day, 5 hours and 20 minutes (in the game, only the first two units of time are displayed) while with VIP, the hatching time is 23 hours and 28 minutes.
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(2,880 * 1.2)) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = (RoundUp(3,456) * VIP Factor
- Hatching Time = 3,460 * VIP Factor
Thus, without VIP, the hatching time is 2 days, 9 hours and 40 minutes while with VIP, the hatching time is 1 day, 22 hours and 8 minutes (in the game, only the first two units of time are displayed).
The following Dragons do not follow this formula and thus have their own hatching time.
- All Base Dragons (except the Light Dragon and the Shadow Dragon), Boss Dragons, and Clan Dragons
- Bee Dragon
- Dust Dragon
- Lava Dragon
- Prairie Dragon
- Salamander Dragon
- Seahorse Dragon
- Smoke Dragon
- Tick Tock Dragon
- Tribal Dragon
See Time Reduction for the Hatchery for more information
Aside from an active Level 2 VIP Status, which reduces the hatching and breeding time by 20% (except for Clan Dragons), any ongoing hatching time is also reduced by 40 to 80 minutes when the Clan Fortress's power is used (depending on its level), by 6 hours whenever Chronosian Seals are forged or Chronos's power is used, and by 5 minutes for each Timer Boost received from visiting Trainers. Additionally, any one individual hatching is reduced by 8 hours when a Relic of Hatching is used. The entire hatching time can also be sped up in exchange for Gems. Lastly, the Trainer might be offered videos to watch in order to reduce an ongoing hatching time whenever the icon appears above the Hatchery. The option reduces the time by 30 minutes for the individual hatching every time it is used.
- Update 5.0 modified Ruptia's power, meaning it no longer serves for reducing any ongoing breeding. Starting with this update, the Clan Fortress has the ability to reduce any ongoing hatching.
- Update 4.7 introduced the Relic of Hatching, a relic that reduces any one ongoing hatching by 8 hours, and the option to reduce the hatching time by watching videos.
- Update 4.2 slightly altered the graphical aspect of the post-hatching window: the cornered rarity icon is now smaller, the name and Element(s) of the Dragon are now shown underneath it inside a box and the Sell button has been replaced by the Sell button while the icon was replaced by the icon. Before this update, the name of the Dragon was above it while its Element(s) was/were on the left-hand side of the screen. Additionally, the button and the Dragon Collector Leaderboard score were moved from the left side to the right side of the window.
- Update 4.0 added the Dragon Collector Points value of new Dragons to their post-hatching screen as part of the new Dragon Collector Leaderboard feature.
- Update 3.2 made it possible for eggs, that are purchased while the Hatchery is full, to be sent to the inventory.
- Update 2.9 made the Dragon Codex collections screen pop up whenever a Dragon with an entry in it is being hatched for the very first time.
- Update 2.6 introduced Ruptia, a Clan Dragon that reduces any ongoing hatching by 1 hour.
- Update 2.4 introduced Community Hatching.