From Dragon Mania Legends (DML) Wiki
The Dragon Codex is a book of Dragons in the game, it unlocks after Breeding, Hatching, and housing the first Smoke Dragon. The primary function of the codex is to provide up-to-date information on Dragons. Once unlocked, the codex is accessed by tapping the button at the middle-right of the main Archipelago screen.
The main parts of the codex are its tabs:
- Collections - Dragons that can be collected for rewards.
- Dragon Codex - The complete codex of all Dragons that have appeared while the Trainer played.
- My Dragons - All Dragons owned by the Trainer
The Leaderboard button, beside the codex tabs, is used to access the Dragon Collector Leaderboard.
Collections are made up of different groups of Dragons collected for various rewards. These collections are grouped into categories such as early game Dragons, all Common/Uncommon Normally-Breedable Dragons of an Element, Dragons required Breedable Legendaries, Dungeon-Exclusive Dragon, VIP-Exclusive Dragon, and so on and so forth. Some collections have stages, which allow for greater rewards upon completion of further tasks. Additionally, there also exist meta collections, meaning a collection completed through by completing collections. Completed collections are always listed below incomplete ones.
Each collection displays the collection name, Dragon snapshot or full-size image for collection rewards, the currently collected Dragons count separated with a slash by the total in-game Dragon count, collection rewards, and the percentage of players having completed respective collections. Dragons receive a symbol once collected, and tapping collection reward Dragons only (un)hides the collection, instead of opening their Codex Entry.
Collections are hidden by pressing the button, and unhidden using the button. When hidden, regular collections display only the collection title, while Meta Collections still display the reward Dragons and those necessary for completion, sub-collections are completely hidden. Hidden collections remain visible until deliberately unhidden, or when a new Dragon from a collection is hatched.
Meta Collections are typically themed collections, where all Dragon's names and/or appearances follow that same theme. The only requirement to receive reward Dragons is to hatch and place the required Dragons.
Some collections have additional stages to the first. Once a Stage is completed and additional ones are available, the Trainer can complete the task for the new stage and get additional Rewards (depending on the collection). Stage Collection Dragons are Dragons that are always available in-game as long as any associated features were reached or unlocked. The only exception is the Dark Mysteries collection, the only outlier to the aforementioned convention.
The following Collections feature Event-Only, time-limited Dragons though some may be available as purchase-only.
Hatch & Place
Breeding 12 Dragon of the Month Dragons is required to complete the following four codex collections: Deceptive Tales, Swashbuckling Tales, Odd Tales and Magical Tales. If all four collections are completed, the 5x5 special habitat reward pieces can then be merged to form a single 10x10 Megabitat.
Note: Although the collections below are structured similarly to meta collections, and provide a reward similarly, the individual sub-collections that together give a reward are treated as separate in-game; thus, once a "sub-collection" is completed, it is sent to the bottom of the Collections tab rather than remaining grouped with the others. Such collections are grouped here for clarity purposes.
The Dragon Codex tab provides an overall count of Dragons that have been, and can be, obtained (excluding Chronos or Clan Dragons) as well as a progress indicator. A snapshot of each Dragon appears below this, along with sorting and filtering options for easier searching.
The buttons at the right of the codex allow filtering:
By selecting a Rarity:
By selecting a specific Element (which shows any Dragon with that Element):
By selecting a specific Source:
- Normally-Breedable Dragons.
- Boss Dragons.
- Card Dragons.
- Limited-Time Dragons.
- VIP Dragons.
- Dungeon Dragons (only Dungeon Shop).
- Enchantment Dragons.
- Campaign Map Reward Dragons.
- Most Card Dragons obtained from Clan Events.
- Arena Dragons.
- Token Dragons (Only Permanent Token Dragons).
- All (Dragons) to reset this filter.
- formatSearch Dragon (excl - Text field to search by species name.
The drop-down menu has two options:
- Default Order – Sorting by LTD Dragons first, and allowing Order by rarity sorting.
- 🡅🡇 Order by rarity – Sorting by Not owned first, and allowing All, and Not owned.
The second drop-down is for showing one of 3 options:
- All – Show all (once considered available) Dragons.
- Owned – Show owned Dragons only.
- Not owned – Show not owned Dragons only.
Note: Filtering is not reset automatically to the default view when the codex is closed, the Trainer must manually clear the search bar nd set all other filters back to to reset to an unfiltered state.
Dragon shapshots each contain a mugshot, Elements, Skill levels (in some areas of the game), Type/Rarity, Enchantment Stars, Sigils (if equipped), an icon representing obtainment method (if not a regularly breedable Dragon), and a green checkmark if obtained. Non-obtained Dragons have a greyed-out snapshot and if they are a Limited-Time Dragon, Event-Only Dragon, or are offered in a promotion etc., display an availability countdown. The Elements of Dragons whose secondary Elements need to be awoken are visible, but grayed-out and marked with the icon.
Information for Dragons is viewed by selecting their snapshot, which opens their Codex Entry.
See Codex Entries for information about what appears in codex entries.
The Codex allows purchasing additional Dragon eggs for any Dragon previously obtained, as long as these Dragons can be purchased in exchange for Gold or Gems. Boss Dragons and regular Dragons that can be bred normally or within a limited-time period, along with the active VIP Dragons, can always be purchased, regardless whether the Trainer has them on their islands or not. Boss Dragons can only be purchased once, unless exceptions occur, and only if they have been unlocked through defeating them in Normal Mode.
The My Dragons tab displays the snapshots of all Dragons currently owned by the Trainer, displaying the almost identical filtering and sorting options as the Dragon Codex tab.
The DML Planner Dragons function allows Trainers to search for and keep track of their Dragon Collection. Numerous search options are provided to rapidly filter between, and find, Dragons to add to the collector's stable of Dragons, which can be saved via Settings > Login. This aids in keeping track of owned Dragons and other planner activities.
A Codex Entry is the Dragon Info or visiting card of a Dragon, which displays the entire information about it. They are accessed by pressing the snapshot or image in Dragon Codex tabs or from multiple other places including, but not limited to, Main Shop, Inventory, events, and by pressing the i button when visiting the Dragon in their Habitat
Information displayed (excluding Boss Dragons) includes level, rarity, Enchantment Stars, species name, given name, stats, Dragon Collector Points, Gold per Hour, Elements, codex description, skills and Sigils. In the bottom-left of the Dragon's image, the button displays the egg of that Dragon, and the button switches back to the current form.
For Dragons not yet owned, a button may appear at the bottom bringing the Trainer to the place where the Dragon can be obtained, the dragon cost, or text describing how the Dragon can be obtained. For owned Dragons, the following buttons appear:
More Options – Opens a submenu of multiple other options:
- Visit – Visit the Dragon in its Habitat.
- Vault – Move the Dragon to the Vault (if space is available)
- Rename – Rename the Dragon.
- Sell – Sell the Dragon.
- Move – Move the Dragon.
- Learn – Send the Dragon to Dragon Academy to learn and unlock Skills.
- Equip Sigil – Equip a Sigil.
In the top-right, there's also a button to
- – Opens the Augmented Reality feature.
Note: In the case of unobtained Card-Segment Dragon, in the Dragon Codex tab, a counter is shown under their image displaying the amount of Dragon Pieces currently had, separated by a slash from the total number needed to obtain that Dragon.
- Sell – To sell the Dragon for Gold (no gems are recovered when selling, and use of its powers are lost).
- More Options - Opens a submenu of multiple other options:
- Visit - Visit the Dragon in its Habitat.
- Vault - Move the Dragon to the Vault (if space is available)
- Move - Move the Dragon.
Note: See page edit history for Meta Collection additions.
- Update 7.6: Added the Dark Mysteries collection to the standard Codex collections, though it does not follow prior established Codex collection norms.
- Update 7.4: Renamed Zodiac Dragons Meta collection to Cosmic Dragons, together with the Zodiac Dragon.
- Update 7.3: Added four new Stage Collections, namely Deceptive Tales, Swashbuckling Tales, Odd Tales, and Magical Tales; each collection awarding a special habitat if completed, and if all four were completed, it formed a Megabitat.
- Update 6.9: Added the ability to purchase Collection Reward Dragons for Gems if previously unlocked.
- Update 6.2: Added Guardians of the Arena collection.
- Update 5.6: Introduced Multi-Stage Collections.
- Made some Dragon Collections multistaged, added rewards for completing different stages of each collection, requiring feeding or enchanting Dragons.
- Update 5.1: Added a My Dragons option, displaying all available dragons, including duplicates.
- Added filtering options to find Dragons by Rarity, Elements, and Source, with the ability to select up to three items in each category.
- Added the number of dragons that have been unlocked.
- Update 5.0: Dragons with secondary Elements locked no longer have the icon, and are instead marked with the icon.
- Replaced the name of the Elemental with the name of the Element if skill level is above 1.
- Moved attack next to the icon instead of displaying individually for each Element
- Added a tooltip menu for extra skills info on the Codex Entry Dragon Info Screen.
- Update 4.6: Introduced three new collections: Brawling Dragons, Dungeon Crawlers, and Emerald Dragons.
- Update 4.5: Introduced Meta collections.
- Modified some collections, changing required Dragons and introducing different rewards. See Update 4.5 for old collection details.
- Replaced the Collected Dragons tab with a Show owned only and discontinued the all tab.
- Introduced the Dragon Codex tab and the Leaderboard button. The former to replace the discontinued All tab, without acting as a filter, and the latter used to access the Dragon Collector Leaderboard.
- Discontinued displaying collections as a list and introduced the ability to hide individual collections.
- Moved the ability to compare collections with other Trainers from the Codex to when Visiting their Islands.
- Update 4.1: Altered Codex Entries to accommodate DCP stats introduced in the previous update.
- Update 4.0: Introduced four new collections: Mysterious Dragons, Secrets of the Arena, Elites of the Arena and Collector's Dragons.
- Added Dragon Collector Points.
- Update 3.7: Added the Vault button to the Codex Entry of Dragons.
- Update 3.2: Removed the Base Attack and Base Health of Boss Dragons from their Codex Entries.
- Update 3.0: Added the Clan Siege Spirits collection.
- Update 2.9: Replaced all collections with new ones, see update page for details.
- Made the Dragon Codex no longer unlocked after exploring the Mystic Cave for the first time, to after the first Smoke Dragon is hatched.
- Made all collections displayed vertically instead of horizontally.
- Made Collections display all Dragons in each, and made the list tab switch to a checklist-like format.
- Added more filtering options.
- Added switching between egg and adult form of a Dragon on its Codex Entry.
- Added filtering Codex Entries based on obtainment method.
- Added viewing Codex Entries of unowned Dragons when comparing to a friend's Dragons.
- Moved Dragon collections back from Achievements to the Dragon Codex.
- Update 2.5: Moved the Collections section from here to Achievements.
- Added option to go directly to a Dragon in its Habitat from its Codex Entry.
- Renamed Book of Dragons to Dragon Codex.
- Update 2.0: Introduced the Clan Trophies collection,
- Added option to filter Dragons by with the introduction of Dragon Pieces.
- Update 1.9: Introduced renaming Dragons ability to their Codex Entry.
- Update 1.8: Added the option to filter Dragons by with the introduction of VIP-Exclusive Dragons.
- Update 1.5: Introduced the Book of Dragons (later renamed Dragon Codex).
- Added collections: Rays of Light, Creeping Shadows, and Dazzling Crystals.
- Merged the Codex Entry with the stats screen to become the Dragon Info screen.